Friday, November 2, 2007

Holiday Planning and Enjoyment

Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I survive the holidays and really enjoy them by making and freezing a lot of dishes ahead of time. Every weekend before the holidays, I make a dish or two and freeze.

Today is 11/2/2007 and I have two types of cranberry sauce, my cran-horseradish sauce for placing over cream cheese, two pans of cornbread crumbs for my dressing, 8 loaves of pumpkin cranberry nut loaf, 3 carrot cakes (two weeks ago I had 6, people have come to get some!), and two crocks of spinach artichoke dip.

I plan on making and freezing my mashed potatoes this weekend.

I make my pies the day before the dinner. I know a lot of people freeze theirs, but I would have to try it before I make it a practice. The holidays are too important to me to take a chance and ruin my pies. I used to use the refrigerated pie crust. My sister got on to me for doing this one year because I really am a good cook. I decided that I had to master the art. I did endless searches online and wrote down every tip I could find. TaDa!!! I made the best pie crust! Now, when I serve pie, no one will leave any part of the crust on the plate to be discarded! And everyone says, "This is the best pie crust I have ever tasted!" It is such a compliment to get those dessert plates by the sink and see nary a crumb on any plate.

Now, you really must try the Pumpkin Cranberry Nut Loaf recipe. I make this every year and have for about 10 years. One year I placed about 10 mini loaves out for a get to gether. These equate to about 4 large loaves. I watched my brother-in-law. Gather up 3 loaves and go out the door and to his car. He came back into the house empty handed. He did not hide, did not ask, just took them. Now, that was a compliment! So, after that, I make him a few and make sure he gets them during the holidays. He now asks when I will be making these loaves. I gave him several loaves already this year! Anyway, these loaves are just so pretty. The whole cranberries burst while baking and you can see the red berry and some nuts peeking out all over the loaves. Very holidaish! Is that a word?

No comments: